Thursday, June 3, 2010

Vicksburg

Historic sites always intrigue me.  From old homes, historic downtown areas to National Parks where the battles that are the bases of our country, I enjoy roaming them all.  I'm not sure you would call me a history buff...I know probably just about as much as anyone else.  And if I don't I will look up the information. 
It's the roaming all these sites that I find the most fascinating. 
Ever since my first encounter with Valley Forge I find myself drawn to the sites more for the 'stories' that come with them.  Sometimes just sitting quietly amongst the sites I find myself wondering who had walked there before me. 
To think about all the men and women who gave up their lives for our country's freedom, for it's principals...sometimes it's very hard to put into words what I feel at that moment.  My imagination goes wild...and I am in awe of my surroundings. 
Today as I walked down the paths at Vicksburg, as I walked among some of the rows of soldiers graves from so long ago I try to picture the principals that we were waging a war over.  It was such a different way of life...something most of us probably would not understand.  But yet, sacrifices were made and a bloody civil war tore our country apart....it's unbelievable. 
Later I wandered the historic district and found it just as fascinating.  Even had an early dinner at a place that was called "Walnut Hill" that had to have the best fried chicken I have ever had!!!  And I won't even mention the fried dill pickles...yep...fried dill pickles.  You have to have lived in the deep south to understand that food.  Today I'm determined to find fried green tomatoes.  And next week I will work all of this fat and carbs off helping my daughter-in-law clean up the old house and set up the new....
In the mean time...I'm enjoying it all...

2 comments:

Cubic Zirconia Emerald said...


Your article is very helpful thank you very much for sharing .

COMPAQ Laptop Service Center In Chennai said...


Your article is very helpful thank you very much for sharing .